Dear PSW Thank yo so much!

A Bit O' Context: This is a letter I wrote to an awesome social worker that works at my son's school. She presented an 8 week workshop to parents called Resilient Families. The premise of the workshop is to teach parents ways to cope with day to day stress. One topic that stands out is how our childhood familial structure may impacts our families today. It's a great workshop and it is expanding!

As you read,  you will learn a bit about what I was going though during Fall of 2020, into Winter 2021. 


Thank you for helping parents learn ways to cope with stress. The day I started your Resilient Families Workshop in 2020, my focus was to find ways to tackle my depression and anger. To find ways to cope at home. Unfortunately, I found myself spiraling deeper and deeper into depression. On the Wednesdays we were to meet, I tried my best to put on a brave face and participate, but it got so unbelievably hard to pretend. I was becoming angry, sad and had unbearable suicidal thoughts. I Stopped attending your workshop, I believe I made it to 4.

During your workshops, I saw how other people dealt with stress, the way they expressed their frustrations or triggers. I noticed a difference between my perception of day to day frustrations. I spent days on end on the red zone. Small things making me feel anger and frustration beyond my control. I knew that was not OK for myself or my family. Resilient Families pushed me to get help. It made me think of how I wanted to live, how I wanted to thrive. I was tired of trying to deal with the sadness. From your workshop I also took to writing again.

Four months ago, I decided to speak to my health care provider and since have started one-on-one therapy sessions. I have also connected with a psychiatrist. I was diagnosed with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). It’s like PMS set on rage. It has been a rough journey, but my family and I are happier because of it.

I made it to your second to last workshop in 2020, I wanted to thank you then, but I was still struggling through things. But I cannot thank you enough for being there. For listening to us and giving constructive feedback. I recently completed the English version of Resilient Families. It was a wonderful experience; I wish more people would take the opportunity to utilize such valuable resources.