Breast Pump Flange Fit for Breastfeeding Mothers

The following is a written piece I submitted to eBay (link will take you to my eBay guide :)). My task was to write a "guide" regarding something I was interested in. At the time, I was breastfeeding and finding myself with the difficult task of figuring out how to boost my milk supply as well as figuring out how to use a breast pump effectively, and finding my correct flange size. I hope you find this blog post helpful.

 
Flange fit is extremely important in the breastfeeding process. The proper fit of the flange on the breast allows for steady pumping and more milk flow.

After having my son I notices an extreme lack of milk production from both of my breasts. I used pumping to provide extra milk production, in addition to using Fenugreek.

Unfortunately, I thought the standard flanges that came with my breast pump were too big for my breasts. In my quest for the proper flange, I purchased a set of smaller sized flanges on eBay. When looking at listings related to my purchase, I made sure that the flanges were brand new (never used) and in a sealed package. They arrived within a few days. eBay was a great place to make my purchase, there were different flange sizes, brands and price points to choose from.

Sadly, it turned out the breast flanges I purchased were too small for my breasts. I finally bought the right size flange after visiting a lactation consultant. I would like to make purchasing flanges an easier task. 




Flange Vocabulary

Breast pump: A manual or electric pump for removing breast milk. 
Breast shield: A device to protect the nipple when pumping.  
Breast Shield Tunnel: Area on the breast shield where the nipple is pumped. 
MastitisAn infection of the breast tissue that results in breast pain, swelling, warmth and redness of the breast. Mastitis that's not due to an infection may be caused by milk staying in the breast (this is called "milk stasis").
Plugged Milk Ducts: Too much milk production or not enough milk pumped out of breasts; ducts become plugged. The results can be painful and lead to Mastitis.  
Breast Engorgement: breasts feel hard, swollen, throbbing, lumpy, uncomfortably full, or painful.


What’s standard?
Nipple Size Helps Find Flange Fit




The standard flange size differs between breastfeeding pump manufacturers.  In my research, I found there to be a 1mm difference in standard flange sizing between the  Ameda and  Madela brands.  

Please consult your breastfeeding pump users manual for information regarding flange size. 


How do I know if my flange is too small?
Nipple rubbing inside of the tunnel, the fit is too small
Take a close look at the action that is happening within the flange to find out. The part on the flange where your nipple is inserted is called “the tunnel.”

Check to see if your nipple is moving freely within the tunnel. If the nipple is rubbing against the sides of the tunnel, the flange is too small.

Also notice the gentle pulling of just your areola with each
 suction, otherwise the flange is too small (see Good Fit vs. Too Tight). 

How do I know if my flange is too big?
The areola is coming along with the nipple into the tunnel
If the flange is too big, you may see your areola come into the tunnel along with your nipple. If the nipple doesn’t enter the breast shield tunnel, the flange is too big. 

**Remember, everyone has a different breast size, shape...therefore there are different factors to consider when choosing a breast shield.  

Good Fit Vs. Too Tight
Good Fit Vs. Too Tight
 Notice the Good Fit side shows a nipple that has space to fit in the tunnel. The breast will feel the pulling of the nipple area, but will not have a nipple jammed into the tunnel as it pumps.  

The Too Tight side, shows a nipple that is tightly inserted into the tunnel. There is no space around the nipple. This makes it difficult for the pump to function and for the removal of milk.  


Should it hurt when pumping? ‘Cus it looks painful!
With time, perhaps...
Yes and no…well, no! But as you get used to things, it might.

Ultimately when you find the right fit for you, it should feel comfortable to pump. There should be no pain in your breasts or nipples or any swelling or tenderness.

If you do feel pain, look into other flanges. Or, if your pump has a manual control, you might need to keep working on finding your correct setting(s).



 
Does not having the proper flange affect me?
The major impact is milk yield. If your flange does not create the proper seal on your breast, you will not be pumping correctly. You might finish your pumping session and still feel areas on your breast that feel hard, due to your breasts still having milk. This  could lead to mastitis, plugged ducts or breast engorgement. 

Good Luck!
I hope you find the correct size for your needs!

P.S. If you suffer from low milk production like I have,  and would like to boost it, I suggest using a pump in between feeding your infant (every two hours or so), in addition to allowing your infant to feed on demand. It's a lot of work...Sometimes it might feel like a loosing battle. I encourage you to give it a try anyway. It may just be just what you needed. 

If you'd like, you can also try Fenugreek (herbal supplement) to increase your milk production. When using Fenugreek, or any other supplement or medication, please educate yourself on possible side effects and dosage limits.  

Sources

Ameda
Medela
BabyCenter
Pregnancy.about
Breastpumps
Induced Lactation
Mommy Edition
Freemie
Webster Dictionary